Cleaning out the fridge and garden again for dinner. With the cooler weather setting in now that it’s officially fall I had a craving for curry. I took a couple of Japanese eggplant from my patio garden, a couple of zucchini, mushrooms and kale from my refrigerator to make dinner. This recipe can use whatever you have on hand and if you want more or less of a vegetable please feel free to substitute. If you still have fresh basil in your garden, some basil leaves torn and added right at the end would be a great addition!
- 2 medium Japanese eggplant (peel if the skin is tough), diced
- 2 small to med zucchini, diced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Half a bunch of kale, leaves torn in bite sized pieces only stems removed
- 6-7 mushrooms cut into fourths
- 2 tsp of oil
- 1-1.5 Tbsp green curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce**
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Heat your 2 tsp of oil in a pan under medium high heat
- Saute eggplant, zucchini, shallot and mushrooms for 6-7 minutes until they start to soften
- Add green curry paste and cook for 1 minute
- Add can of coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar and bring to simmer and reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes covered. Add kale 5 minutes into the cooking
- Taste to see if you need more fish sauce, curry paste or sugar
- Spoon over cooked rice and enjoy!
**Vegetarian substitutes for fish sauce – Golden Mountain Sauce or soy sauce which are not gluten free. Tamari and Bragg’s Amino’s are gluten free.